Thursday, February 2, 2012

Turning Frustrations into Joy...

This was written a few days ago but still wanted to share this.

Yesterday was one of those frustrating days for me. Nothing seemed to be going as planned or even as I wanted them to be. Somehow and for some reason when I would get frustrated though it would somehow turn around into joy. Let me give you one example of how this happened.

I left my house as soon as I heard the rain stop and prayed that the rain would stop for just 15min. That’s all I needed to get to work and after that everything would be just fine. Having a motorcycle as transportation here is a luxury but sometimes I think it’s not really the case. As I drive away from home I start to feel it sprinkle but still in my mind I believe I can make it to work dry. Three minutes later it starts to pour and the moment I arrive to work not a single spot on me is dry except for my head because I had my helmet on. (Just for you Mom and Dad)JMy inner child comes out and I stomp upstairs frustrated and angry. I try and pull myself together so my face wouldn’t say it all when I went down for breakfast. All I wanted was to be dry and here I was standing in the middle of the office soaking wet with no dry clothes to change in and home is about 10min away and I only have a motorcycle. Needless to say I felt miserable and cold.

One of our cleaning ladies was wearing a pair of sweatpants over her jeans because she was so cold. She saw me and without even asking she took off her sweat pants and told me that I could use them while she took my jeans downstairs to dry my jeans. This is when I started to feel joy. Joy because I knew that this lady without knowing me for very long was already willing to serve me. Joy because I realized that the place that I am currently working at is not just a place that only serves the community but staff helps each other out. Joy because our entire staff is there for one purpose and one mission which is to show Christ to those around us and to serve our communities.

Things may not have been going the way I wanted them to yesterday but I know that I am here for a purpose and I know that this is exactly where I am supposed to be right now. More frustrating things happened throughout my day but somehow every frustration yesterday turned into joy. I am happy to be in a work environment where I don’t feel like I am constantly pouring out to others but also feel like others are pouring into me and I am challenged to keep finding out more and more about the God we serve.

Most of you know this about me but I hate change so coming into a new job, new home, new friends, new environment, new community, new co-workers, new life has been really hard for me. The only difference this time is that God is teaching me how to find joy, happiness, and peace through change. I am beginning to learn this and experience this but one thing that is different of what has come is the fact that I continually find a reason to smile and a reason to be happy.


This is my new life. This is my new community and this is my new ministry until God calls me somewhere else. Here are a few pictures of what my story is all about for now.




The painting right outside our window which I fell in love with the first day I arrived at El Callejon.

My new community El Callejon. Paintings were done by SI Art site a while back. These paintings are all along the walls of this community. They all have a Bible verse on them.

The back of the pre-school.


The front of the school.


Some of the students at the school.


My first team this year. (Matt, Michelle, and Bre) My group of students decided that at the end of our work day we would find a new spot in the community where we would take a "boy band" picture. This is just one of the 10 that we have taken. Sadly my first team has quickly come and now will be leaving soon.


Thank for all your prayers and encouragement.
Love you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment