Thursday, March 22, 2012

Belonging...

After I resigned at Jarabacoa Christian School (JCS) I was told that I would have to move out of JCS housing before I left for Christmas break. Thankfully one of my good friends Karen and Dan Speciale had offered me their extra bedroom at their house. My initial reaction was excitement but then following after that I felt a little nervous. Now that I have almost 3 months of living with them I feel blessed and over joyed to be where I am right now.

I was worried about the transition to a new job and at the same time transitioning to a new home. I knew I was at the right place though because I had so much peace about the whole situation. I got picked up from the airport back in January from Dan and Karen and that's when my journey started. As I sat in the car heading up the mountain I knew that my new normal was soon to start. I got home I was received by Danny and Anthony, Dan and Karen's kids, and immediately I felt a sense of BELONGING. These past few months I have been so thankful for having the opportunity to live with a family.

Coming home from work and having a 5 year old run up to give me a hug as if he hasn't seen you for weeks is beyond what I could ask for. Having a couple who isn't afraid to ask me the tough questions and having a couple who allows me to share my frustrations with them. The sense ofBELONGING is constantly evident and is such a blessing. Needless to say I know this wasn't just coincidence I know for a fact that God knew exactly what I needed and when I needed it.

Something's that I have enjoyed/hated/loved/laughed at, etc is the numerous was that I have been woken up on a Saturday morning. Saturday's are usually my sleeping in days but when you live in a house with a 5 and 9 year old and a 10 month old you are bound to be woken by numerous things. Anthony who is 5 is mostly known for always waking me up in some creative way. I have my top 3 Saturday wake up calls. They're as follow:

1. Cap Gun
2. Whispering in my window "Miss Gomie come play with me"
3. Singing "You're Elmo's Sweetheart, Elmo loves kisses" (this happens to be what Giuliana's Elmo toy is constantly saying)

So, kids have their own way of making you feel like you belong. There hasn't been a Saturday in which I have woken up angry at anything but instead I am constantly reminded that this is the place where God wants me. I am blessed because my sense of BELONGING doesn't just stop at home but it continues on at work as well. It's fun coming to an office and being excited to see my co-workers. Excited to see what else is to come of the rest of my time here at Students International.

Here are a few pictures of the Speciale Family and my life here this month.


Estefan and I playing at school.

Speciale Family

Danny (Top Left) Me, Anthony (Top Right) and Giuliana

Hanging out










1 comment:

  1. Hey, great post and photos, it was great to see you yesterday and good to hear you are happy and doing good! :) Hugs to the Speciales - and tell Karen that I am baking her a new batch of cookies and promise not to give into my cravings and eat these ones! :)

    ReplyDelete